Wanting to have a calorie count after a good workout or sport helps keep track of your weight. The problem is, that there is not an exact number of calories burned playing pickleball. However, upon testing it with an apple watch as well as a Samsung watch, we found that playing pickleball for an hour burns 400 to 500 calories. Keep in mind that we did not play professionally while counting calories.
The actual tournaments cause more calories to burn than this. This is not an exact amount as it varies on movements, weight, and heart rate. It is for single matches which are slow-paced, you can burn more depending on the speed of the match and other factors. Also, check the How to Hold a Pickleball Paddle?
Let us tell you in detail how many calories are burned depending on the weight of the person and the speed of the game. We will also highlight some health benefits of playing pickleball.
- 1 Calories Burned to Play Pickleball Doubles:-
- 2 How Many Calories Do You Burn Playing Pickleball?
- 3 How Much Time Does Pickleball Take To Play?
- 4 Calories Burned Playing Pickleball And Tennis
- 5 How Many Calories Are Burned In A Pickleball Game?
- 6 Can I Lose Weight Playing Pickleball?
- 7 Final Words:-
- 8 FAQs:-
Calories Burned to Play Pickleball Doubles:-
In doubles, there are more tension and fast responses. Even when a player does not hit the ball, his feet still stay in play and his heart rate stays fast. Due to tension and fast feet movements. The average calories that you burn while playing pickleball doubles are approximately 250 to 350 an hour.
Overall Calories Burned During a Pickleball Game:-
While playing pickleball there is 25-30% of hitting the ball and 65-70% of walking or chasing the ball. Therefore, for people weighing 150 pounds, 250 calories are burned. While a 200-pound weighing person will burn almost 335 calories. Both of these are calories burned in playing pickleball for half-hour. You Can also check the Pickleball Myths.
Since professional tournaments require more movement. Playing in the tournament can burn more calories, a 150-pound player may burn 360 calories in a half-hour. The professional players burn 400 calories per hour while playing pickleball matches. You Can Also check Onix Z5 Pickleball.
How Good of a Workout is Pickleball?
Studies show that plain pickleball is a good way to lose weight effectively. Pickleball is quite similar to tennis. In 2007 British journal of sports medicine issued that tennis has positive health benefits and is a good workout. Pickleball being similar to tennis also serves well as a workout. Playing pickleball helps in the movement of swinging arms which is a good workout for the mobility of arms. You Can also check the Is Pickleball An Olympic Sport?
The similarity of pickleball movements with gym workout exercises can not be ignored. While swinging the paddle we are doing an arm raises workout also affects the chest too. It’s a two in one effective movement which gives a nice workout to the chest and arms. Not to mention legs workout as well when we are pacing within the court. You Can Also Check Pickleball Nets.
Reasons Why Pickleball is a Good Workout:-
- Great for joint: For handicapped people or aged people, it’s perfect as no intense joint movements are needed.
- Low impact: Playing pickleball serves well as a low-impact cardio workout.
- Cardiovascular workout: Perfect for the cardiovascular workout as it
- Great brain activity: As playing pickleball requires strategic thinking it enhances the brain as well.
- Improves reflexes and body coordination: While playing pickleball you also improve your reflexes and hand-eye movements.
- Replacement of cardio: This can be done instead of typical cardio movement as it is more enjoyable.
- Relieves stress: Workout helps in getting rid of stress. Pickleball is easy to learn and play, so it enhances Endorphins released in the brain which helps in relieving stress.
- Strengthens: Playing pickleball helps in giving strength to loose muscles as well.
- Prevents diabetes: It helps in the treatment of diabetes as well as helps avoid diabetes.
- Reduces obesity: Pickleball helps in weight loss so obesity can be avoided.
Tennis vs Pickleball as a Workout:-
Pickleball matches in USAPA last for an hour as one set. For two sets it takes two hours. While tennis lasts for about 90 minutes, so in terms of longer workouts tennis is a better option. However, for aged and handicapped people, pickleball is a more preferable workout.
A 150-pound weighing person will burn 300 to 450 calories per hour playing tennis. Tennis doubles burn fewer calories. It also varies depending on the weight of the person and movements during the game. You Can Also Check the Best Pickleball Machine.
Ways Calories have Burned Playing Pickleball:-
Working out is boring for some people so they can opt for a sports workout instead. Calories are burned in physical activities that speed up the heart rate. Intense movements and running during sport can do that. Playing pickleball burns calories in the following ways plus they give various health benefits as well:
When you get pickleball training, you have to speed up your feet movements. It gives a good leg workout as well as burns tons of calories in the legs. Moreover, it is physically demanding to move legs with speed and reflexivity therefore it burns calories effectively. You Can also check the Best Edgeless Pickleball Paddles.
You also need tons of strengthening exercises like weight-lifting which help in burning calories. So even for getting trained to play pickleball, you will burn lots of calories. Moreover, while playing pickleball your whole body is moving at great speed and requires extra physical movements of hands and feet which help burn calories. Also, check the What is Pickleball?
In 90 minute game of pickleball, almost 7000 steps are done. This was measured by a Fitbit product. While Playing with a tough player, you can easily get 10000 steps which is a good way to burn calories.
Having a healthy life helps function in everyday life more actively. Pickleball games are easy to set up and easy to play. Therefore, instead of running to the gym, one can run to the pickleball court and enjoy a fun game as a workout. Pickleball is a whole body workout requiring movements of hands, arms, wrists, legs, and also the brain. You can burn your calories while having fun. The number of calories burned is not too much or too less and they guarantee good health. Also, check the Pickleball Myths.
1. Can I lose Weight While Playing Pickleball?
Yes, you can burn calories while playing pickleball which causes weight loss.
2. What Type of Workout is Playing Pickleball?
Pickleball is a good aerobic workout, as well as a great cardio exercise.
3. Can I improve my Health by Playing Pickleball?
Pickleball helps in the mobility of the body and can improve overall health as well.
4- How many Calories Can I burn for 30 Minutes of Pickleball Playing?
You can lose 250 calories if you play pickleball for 30 minutes.